Interiors of the Poyas-Mordecai House
69 Meeting Street
This house is within the original Grand Model of Historic Charleston. Built in 1788 in the Adamesque style of architecture, it was purchased in 1837 by Moses Cohen Mordecai, an important historic figure, who added the piazzas and connected the main house to the kitchen house. Mordecai, originally opposed to secession, became a blockade runner in support of the Confederacy and lost his entire fortune. Forced to flee to Baltimore after the war, he was again very successful in business. In 1870 Mr. Mordecai, at his own expense, brought home the bodies of South Carolina soldiers who fell at Gettysburg.